CYTOGENETICS AND FISH LEAD TECHNOLOGIST
The lead technologist has the primary responsibility of assuring the provision of quality and safe services through other technologists within the assigned laboratory. The lead technologist assures that employees are performing their work consistent with organizational expectations and policies and procedures conforming to regulatory standards. The lead tech is responsible for the daily clinical, administrative and operational success of the laboratory. Under the general direction of the Team leader/Supervisor and/or Director, manages laboratory sections, and employs a results oriented approach to leadership.
Performs all routine and special Cytogenetics/FISH procedures as specified for the positions of Cytogenetics and FISH technologist II, including but not limited to:
- Review test requisition to gather and obtain pertinent details for analysis prior to case accessioning
- Perform all aspects of the cytogenetic wet lab processes including selection of appropriate cultures based on diagnosis and specimen type, culture set up and harvest, slide preparation and banding per appropriate protocols, microscope analysis of the banded slides, image capture and karyotypic analysis using CytoVision.
- Perform all aspects of the FISH wet lab processes including slide preparation, hybridization and washes on a variety of specimen types per appropriate protocols. Perform scanning and microscope analysis of FISH slides including counts, analyzes, and recording of hybridization patterns of selected interphase nuclei and/or metaphases - this involves good microscopic techniques and imaging ability assuring good quality material for analysis and use CytoVision and Bioview for image capture and analysis as needed. Ensure that the protocols are followed and trouble shoot issues to obtain good quality preparations.
- Distinguish between normal and abnormal test results, and write results using appropriate ISCN nomenclature.
- Prepare and labels reagents, perform the appropriate Quality Control, and document daily performance criteria of reagents and equipment
- With minimum supervision perform trouble shooting and document all corrective actions as needed
- Perform validation of new test methods/instrumentation/reagents
- Provide training of junior personnel when assigned by Supervisor
- Provide assistance to non-technical staff and trainees as needed
- Participate in proficiency testing from regulatory agencies such as CAP and be able to perform error free reporting with respect to identification of abnormalities and the use of ISCN
- Comply with company policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with the requirements of the NYS and National regulatory agencies. Follow the guidelines provided to maintain proper functioning of the laboratory
- General lab support duties to include: filing, label making, obtaining or ordering supplies, collating slides or files
- Scan documents and paperwork for report finalization as needed
- Become familiar with the case review process prior to submission to the Director for sign out
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Certifications: Clinical Laboratory Scientist /Medical Technologist certified by approved Registry Board (i.e. ASCP, NCA, AMT)
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Experience: Technical 5-7 years
Potential exposure to toxic chemicals and the bio-hazards associated with handling blood, solid tissue, and body fluids.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and well-composed résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org