Clinical Lab Scientist - Molecular
Under general supervision, responsible for pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical processes associated with specimen processing, test performance and reporting test results. Perform isolation of DNA and RNA from human blood, bone marrow and FFPE specimens using manual and automated techniques. Will set-up molecular assays and perform analysis of data; operate and maintain laboratory equipment needed to perform daily duties; increase productivity and maintain proficiency in the wet lab and analysis sections; continue to gain knowledge of hematological and solid tumor diseases and recognition of specific abnormalities; adhere to laboratory policies for safety, conduct, and performance.
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Charts/Records: Records pertinent laboratory data on the appropriate form or chart to ensure accurate and complete documentation of laboratory findings.
- Have expertise in isolation of DNA and RNA from human blood, bone marrow and FFPE specimens using manual and automated techniques. Will set-up molecular assays and perform analysis of data.
- Working knowledge of molecular instrumentation including qPCR, genetic analyzers and next generation sequencing systems.
- Ability to perform complex molecular testing of single analyte and multiple analyte oncology panels to detect genetic mutations.
- Assists in the development and/or maintenance of SOPs as required.
- Professional Development: Attends in-services, reads professional literature, and participates in educational programs and activities to remain abreast of developments in the field of genomics. Participates in proficiency testing.
- Quality Control: Complies with quality control policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of laboratory operation are performed in accordance with accepted standards and applicable laws for clinical laboratories.
- Reagents: Prepares reagents necessary for day to day workflows in accordance with laboratory protocol.
- Safety: Practices universal precautions measures for the handling of body fluids.
- Sterile Technique: Observes principles of sterile technique in carrying out daily responsibilities including the proper cleaning and sterilization of work surfaces, equipment, and instruments.
- Supplies: Assists in maintaining an adequate stock of commonly used supplies.
- Performs related responsibilities as required, including the training of residents/trainees if directed.
- Leadership: Assists with assigned additional duties in a specialized area of the laboratory.
- Bachelors degree in biology or related scientific field.
- Three or more years of experience in a molecular diagnostics laboratory.
- Licensed NYS Clinical Laboratory technologist in molecular diagnostics.
Potential exposure to toxic chemicals and the bio-hazards associated with handling blood, solid tissue, and body fluids.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and well-composed résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org